The following instructions provide an easy way to determine bracelet size and bangle size. They will also help you convert circumference to diameter and convert that diameter to bracelet size.
How to Measure for Bracelet Size
- Measure around the wrist at the wrist bone. Choose a place where you would normally wear a bracelet. To take the measurement, use a bracelet gauge, a ribbon measuring tape or even a strip of paper and a ruler.
- To use the strip of paper, mark where the end of the bracelet needs to be and then measure the paper with a ruler. No matter the method, the measurement is the wrist size.Increase the wrist measurement in the following increments to determine the bracelet size for how you want the bracelet to fit.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 inch for a snug fit.
- Add 3/4 to 1 inch for a comfortable fit.
- Add about 1-1/4 inch for a loose fit.
How to Measure for Bangle Size
- Hold your hand as if you were putting on a bangle. Bring all of your fingers together with your thumb and little finger touching.
- Measure around the hand at the widest point with a tape measure or a strip of paper. Be sure to pull the paper or tape measure snug against your skin. Mark the paper with a pen and measure it with a ruler. This measurement is the circumference of your hand.
- Use the following chart to determine the diameter of your hand, based on the circumference. After determining the diameter, choose a bangle that’s at least 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the diameter measurement of your hand,
Convert Hand Circumference to Diameter
- 7-1/2 inches equals approximately 2-3/8 inches in diameter – small
- 8-1/4 inches equals approximately 2-5⁄8 inches in diameter – medium
- 8-5⁄8 inches equals approximately 2-3⁄4 inches in diameter – large
How to Convert Bracelet Sizes to Circumference
Sometimes bracelets are offered in specific sizes. Maybe you’ve seen one for sale or you’d like to offer one for sale in a certain size, rather than small, medium, and large. To convert a wrist circumference to a numeric bracelet size, simply add 1/2 inch to the wrist measurement. Or, if you’d like to convert the opposite way, subtract 0.5 inches from the bracelet size to find the wrist circumference. To give an example, a size 8 bracelet equals a wrist circumference of 7.5 inches. A 9-inch wrist circumference would be a size 9-1/2 bracelet.
Common Bracelet sizes
Children’s Bracelet Lengths
- 2 to 5 years – 5.5 inches
- 6 to 8 years – 6 inches
- 9 to 13 years – 6.5 inches
Women’s Bracelet Lengths
- Petite – 7 inches
- Medium – 7.5 to 8 inches
- Large – 8.5 inches
- Plus size – 9 inches
- Ankle bracelet – 9.5 to 10 inches
Men’s Bracelet Lengths
- Small – 8 inches
- Medium – 8.5 inches
- Large – 9 inches
- Plus size – 9.5 -10.5 inches
Ankle Bracelet Sizes
Most Common: 9 inches (22.0 cm)
Average: 9 – 10 inches (22.9 – 25.4 cm)
Size Range: 8 – 11 inches (16.5 – 27.9 cm) (in my experience)